How to Review or Study Reference Garment Sample?
In garment export orders, most of the time buyers send reference sample to the supplier with technical specifications and note on critical points. It is to help supplier for preparing correct material requirement, understanding buyer quality requirements and to make proper production planning.
Many times it has been observed that merchants or production people are in hurry and forget to review the sample properly. As a result they face lot of problems in sampling stage, production processes. And unable to meet buyer’s quality standards.
To get right first time in raw material planning, garment construction, style detailing, it is very important that supplier must do study of the sample prior to start order processing. If sample is reviewed with detailed checklist, sample rejection can be reduced in approval stage. Garment costing and production preparation can be done more accurately.
Once sample is approved by buyer, before the start of production, sample must be reviewed by an industrial engineer, quality team and production team to avoid silly mistakes. Following check lists will be helpful in doing proper review of a sample.
Check fabric details, accessories, styling and garment construction. Check garment detailing for process requirements, like printing or embroidery is needed or not. If needed is it before stitching or after stitching. Think about cutting whether block cutting is needed or not.
Go through the specs sheets and compare/match it with the sample for possible query on points of measurement. Note that buyer’s way of measuring certain specs varies and you should be aware of their established standards.
Wash care instruction;
- Identify and list down garment components or parts List down main material, trims and accessories used Specification of sewing threads (thickness and variation).
- Turn down the garment and identify operation sequences, note if few operation can be started simultaneously.
- In operation sequence also note seam types, stitch classes and accordingly think about machine type guides or attachments that would suitable for the operation.
- Note down operations that looks difficult in sewing and may need attention for quality stitching.
- Review the sewing allowances required or may be required by the various sewing methods.
- Identify finishing processes and note with specification.
If you are not clear about some points note it down and query to buyer. Don’t assume anything on your own. Always keep approval and written record of requirements.
Sources : Online Clothing Study